FANTASY ISLAND, an immersive art installation reflecting on the debt crisis in Puerto Rico and the luxury real estate market. AS20 Project Space, Providence, RI. 2017.
“Tres Leches”, mixed media installation in collaboration with artist Ron Hagell. Columbia, SC. 2017
Capicú, a multimedia installation in collaboration with Anabel Vázquez Rodriguez, reflecting on the passing of the P.R.O.M.E.S.A. bill in Puerto Rico. Two showings: RISD Exposé Gallery, Providence, RI + The Distillery Gallery, Boston, MA. 2016.
“La Minotauro”, Multimedia installation and performance. Mobius Gallery, Boston, MA. May 18-22, 2015
“La fruta, la mia”, Mixed media installation. 2014. “MUJERES: Iron Maidens” group exhibit at La Galeria, Villa Victoria Center for the Arts. Boston, MA
“Wall of Worry”, Mixed media installation. 2012. “Saturnalia” Group show. Candita Clayton Studio. Pawtucket, RI. Curated by AS220 Gallery Director and artist Neal Walsh. December 2012.
“LasCallesOfMyChildhood”, Video loop, 2012. “Remembering” Group show. Attleboro Arts Museum. Attleboro, MA. July 2012.”My Story, Our Communities” Group show. Atrium Gallery, Providence, RI. Curated by Kameko Branchaud. June 2012.
“El pan de cada día” (“Our Daily Bread”), Mixed media installation, 2011. “HYDRA” Group show. Hera Gallery, Wakefield, RI. Curated by AS220 Gallery Director and artist Neal Walsh. November – December 2011. Read a review here.
“Sandungüeo”. Video loop, 2011. “Mejunje: Experiments in Latin Identity“ Group show. AS220 Main Gallery, Providence, RI. September 2011.
“PRx: Conquista III”. Mixed media installation, 2009. “CRISIS“ Group show. Galería de Arte, Universidad del Sagrado Corazón, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Curated by artist Rigoberto Quintana. April 2009.
La jíbara bruja performance.
- Headliner for Providence Poetry Slam. July 20, 2017
- Guest artist at the Annual Revue at the Indie Grits Festival, produced by the Nickelodeon Theater. Columbia, SC. 2017.
- BOOM Concepts Gallery. Pittsburgh, PA. Nov 2016
Luna Loba performance series. Founder, and artist. 2016 – Present.
Laugh of the Medusa performance series. Artist. Summer 2016
“Flora y Falda” Multimedia and Dance/Folk performance collaboration between Shey Rivera and Lydia Perez & Grupo Yoruba 2 // AS220 Black Box Theater // June 26, 2015 //Providence, RI
Solo Performance Art pieces // 2014 – Present // Mills Gallery in Boston Center for the Arts, New Bedford Museum of Art, TODO BAJO CONTROL Performance Festival.
Guest Poet at Providence Poetry Slam’ “Women of the World” slam // AS220, Providence, RI // Feb 6, 2014
ISLANDS. Performance duo. Providence, RI. 2012- 2014. Various performances, including the launch of a Fluxus performance series at AS220’s 95 Empire Black Box Theater in Providence. RI.
- “10 Ugly Living Rooms” // GRIN Gallery presents “Atomic Honeymoon” at Aurora Providence // Providence, RI // July 10, 2014
- “UTOPIC FANTASY/INFINITE GENDER/EXPERIMENTAL HISTORY” presented by Magic Lantern at Cable Car Cinema // Curated by Xander Marro // Providence, RI// May 22, 2014
- Todo Bajo Control: MAY DAY // Villa Victoria Center for the Arts, Boston, MA // May 1, 2014
- “Entre Scylla y Charybdis pt1” // Projectos AREA, Caguas, Puerto Rico // Apr 27, 2014
- “Ritual y Resureccion” // AS220’s 95 Empire Black Box Theater; Providence, RI // Apr 20, 2014
- Panoply Performance Lab + Future Death Toll + ISLANDS + Ian de Leon + Anabel Vazquez // Machines with Magnets, Pawtucket, RI // Mar 30, 2014
- “MUJERES: Iron Maidens” opening reception // Villa Victoria Center for the Arts, Boston, MA // Mar 28, 2014
- “Puzzled: Ode/Owed to Channing?” Umberto Crenca solo exhibit opening reception // Machines with Magnets, Pawtucket, RI // Mar 22, 2014
- “La boda de la luna de nieve” (The Wedding of the Snow Moon). A collective performance series @ 95 Empire Black Box Theater; Providence, RI // Feb 16, 2014
- “Gull Call” at Downtown Boys EP Release; Spark City, Providence, RI // Feb 15, 2014
- ” RUN, WOMAN, RUN: ISLANDS presents a valentine’s day ritual” at the Summer Street Dinner Theater hosted by Erik Ruin; Summer St., Providence, RI // Feb 14 & 15, 2014
- “La cena de la luna fría” (“The Feast of the Cold Moon”). A collective performance series @ 95 Empire Black Box Theater; Providence, RI // Dec 22, 2013
- “Ultima Cena” @ “Todo Bajo Control“ art show in Villa Victoria Center for the Arts; Boston, MA // Nov. 23, 2013
- “El cuerpo de la costa” (The Body of the Coast) @ Smut Night hosted by the Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health; Providence, RI // Sept. 14, 2013
- “La costa del cuerpo” (The Coast of the Body) @ Queer Salon; Providence, RI // Aug 3, 2013
- “Channeling el tiburón” (Channeling the shark) @ 95 Empire Black Box Theater, opening for Flinching Eye Collective; Providence, RI //May 29, 2013
“Con(text) with Remote Control Tomato“. A new media installation and performance about surveillance directed by SPREAD ART (Christina DeRoos & Thomas Bell). Performed as a “processing agent” for the piece. AS220, Providence, RI. October 2013. Click here for photos.
“Makina Total Free“. Multi-disciplinary performance by Cuban group OMNI ZONAFRANCA. Host and guest poet at the performance. Coordinator of the artists’ residency at AS220. 95 Empire Black Box Theater, Providence, RI. October 2013. Click here for video.
“ONO: 95 Instructions at 95 Empire”. A performance of event scores from Yoko Ono’s book “Grapefruit”. Interpreted two pieces: “Drinking for Orchestra” and “Tunafish Sandwich”; video projections, three gallons of water, and materials for a tunafish sandwich. AS220’s Black Box theater. Providence, RI. April 2013.
Las Tenoras. Feminist collective that creates and performs audiovisual poetry and performance. Shey Rivera, Sussy Santana and Marleny Luna. Las Tenoras: “Mujeres Enlatadas” performance on February 2013 at AS220’s Black Box theater. Providence, RI. Las Tenoras: “A Voice for the Silence“ performance at AS220’s Black Box theater. Providence, RI. September 2012. Read a review here.
“The New Barbarians: X-treme Fashion Show“ performance directed and curated by Guillermo Gómez Peña and Michelle Ceballos from La Pocha Nostra performance troop. Intensive three day workshop and final performance at AS220’s Black Box Theater in Providence, RI. August 2012. Read a review here.
Monkee Head. Audio-visual and performative experimental music ensemble. 2011-Present. Several music performances at AS220 in Providence, RI, including a collaborative performance with Cuban abstract painter Reynier Ferrer at AS220’s 115 Empire Stage in September 2011. Click here to see the video.
Rabia. Music performances throughout Puerto Rico, including independent music festivals. Recorded a full album titled “Side Effects of a Viral Disease” produced in 2006. Headlining act at the Tercera Descarga de la Avanzada Metálica in Santiago, Dominican Republic. Opening act for the Latin Grammy award-winning band Molotov at the Tito Puente Anfi-Theater in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
publications / literary works
Los buitres. Poetry collection. Edition of 80 books, Self published. July 2016.
“No Hay Mentores”. Social commentary on Puerto Rican culture and education. Published in El Nuevo Día, the main print and web news periodical in Puerto Rico. Mar 24, 2011.
Eight-article feature (both in English and Spanish) focused on the Latin American population and immigration in Rhode Island. Freelance Journalist; GoLocalProv.com. Nov 2010.
PuertoRicoIndie.com Round Tables 08 & 09. Guest writer.
.CRUDO, a bilingual online and yearly print arts and culture magazine. Founder, designer, editor, and artist/writer. April 2010. Notable articles: The Era of Monologue, ¡Ay que rico! FRESCOS from Puerto Rico, Reviving Eddie: Puerto Rico is “Retro-Cool”, Erotic Salsa Days: The Eddie Way, and The Golden Era of Television in Puerto Rico.
“Dorotea y Matilde”. Short story published on El Rehén, an independent zine in Puerto Rico.
Freelance journalist for Metro San Juan Magazine. Two articles on entertainment festivals. Production assistant for two fashion editorials. 2009.
“Chica Paladín”. Poem published in Los Otros Cuerpos: antología de temática gay, lésbica y ‘queer’ de Puerto Rico y su diáspora. The first literary anthology of queer poetry and narrative from Puerto Rico. Edited by Latin American writer and activist Moisés Agosto. 2007.
Tongüas magazine. Editorial Board Member. Judge and editor of bilingual literary submissions for the yearly student art and literature magazine of the English Department at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus. Illustrator and participating writer in volumes 3 and 4. 2003- 2004.
2D + digital collages
“Cat & Crane”. Digital collage, 2011. “Cat Call (Come to Mama)“ Group show. Knight Campus Art Gallery, Warwick, RI. Curated by Gallery Director and Photographer Viera Levitt. April 2012
“We <3 Plaza” & “La Lupe 0”. Digital collages, 2011. “Mosaic of Latino Art” Group show. The First Congressional District Office, Pawtucket, RI. Curated by Elena Calderón-Patiño (Rhode Island State Council for the Arts) and hosted by Congressman David Cicilline and Rhode Island State Council for the Arts. October 2011 – January 2012. Read the article here.